Sunday 17 January 2010

UK Poetry Presses


I'm researching Irish and British Poetry Presses to see which I will honour with my first collection (!) no seriously. Anyway, not all Poetry Presses are created equal.

Which Presses have had a collection shortlisted for the Forward Prize, first collection and new collection?

- Picador. Editor Don Paterson. Publishes: Carol Ann Duffy, Sean O’Brien, Kathleen Jamie, Kate Clanchy, Ian Duhig, Jacob Polley, Colette Bryce, John Glenday and Peter Porter
- Jonathan Cape
- Faber Publishes Don Paterson, Andrew Motion, Hugo Williams, John Agard
- Areté Books - Areté, 8 New College Lane, Oxford OX1 3BN. can't find a website.
- Salt.
- Seren The Welsh publishers.
- CB Editions. a Small publisher
- WW Norton an American publishing house.

The Costa Prize for Poetry includes:
- The Gallery Press. Irish. Editor Peter Fallon. Publishes: Ciaran Carson, Eamon Grennan, Medbh McGuckian, Eiléan Ní Chuilleanáin, Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill, Vona Groarke, John McAuliffe, Conor O'Callaghan, Justin Quinn and Peter Sirr.

It's hard to find the names of the publishers for the Costa. They should add that to their website. It's an important detail.

I'm not saying, by the way, that I expect to win the Forward prize but I do want a critically acclaimed press.

2 comments:

susanl said...

Carcanet?

Emerging Writer said...

I guess Carcanet didn't have any nominations this time. I'll do another post with other noted UK poetry presses.

Can readers please put nominations in a comment? It's a big field to plough through