Wednesday 28 January 2009

Fighting Words


Here's a great idea stolen from Dave Eggers (of MacSweeney fame) and localised by our very own famous Roddy Doyle. Did I ever tell you I met Mr Doyle once? In the Aer Lingus upper class lounge a long time ago when I used to get paid to fly business class. Anyway, I sat next to him and didn't dare open my mouth. The minute he left, I called my beloved and told him. And then, the minute I hung up, in walks Gabrielle Burns. True.

Anyway, I digress. Fighting Words aims to help children and teenagers with their creative writing skills. It is privately funded by a couple of individuals. (who?) It is currently taking school groups (book now) and soon teenagers and even (gasp) adults and teaching them to grapple with words. They're looking for all sorts of volunteers so if you've the time (mainly daytime) why not help out. See this Irish Times article.

Behan Square, Russell Street, Dublin 1

EVENING WORKSHOPS COMING SOON

Colum McCann: "Writing out of your skin"
Roddy Doyle: Introduction to writing fiction
Lia Mills: Memoir writing
Gerard Stembridge: Filmscript writing

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now that is a cracking idea!

Just because I don't comment, doesn't mean I'm not reading... ;)